Wednesday 26 March 2014

My Aims for Cycling in the Summer

Spring is here, the weather is nicer than ever, and people are going outside to pass the time with activities. I have recently decided to bring my bicycle to the bicycle repair shop and invest a bit in my bike. The reason why I decided to do so is because I want to go to work on my bicycle every morning. This will allow me to build up a bit of stamina and lose weight. This will be a must for me because I want to go on a bicycle trip during the summer. 
I have shared a few posts recently about my summer plans. I wanted to go on a backpacking and fishing trip, and I still do, however the recent upsurge in cycling made me reconsider my plans. I will need some kind of transportation in order to go from one fishing spot to the next, so using a bike for that is a valid option.
So what kind of bike will I need? I am going to need a cross-country bicycle, one that has wide enough tires so that I will be able to ride it in the countryside. I am going to need a thick yet light skeleton so that it will be able to carry all the weight of me and my gear.
I am going to need to side baskets on the sides on the back of my bike. That will be invaluable when it comes to carrying my gear, and making sure that I will be able to carry everything I need. I am prone to taking too much gear with myself on my trips, so it wouldn't be a surprise if I would pack those baskets full.
I am going to need lights as well. I might have to travel during the night if I don't reach my destination during the day, and I like to plan for all circumstances anyway, so I will need to take lights and extra batteries with myself.
A bicycle trip means that I will have to take more clothes with me. Layered clothing is a must when you try to ride a bike. The cold wind can cool down your body, which can eventually lead to bad muscle injuries.
I am going to need to research my future route. I will have to check out the route first on Google maps, than I am going to go through the smaller parts of the routes weekend-by-weekend doing one little bit every week. This is crucial, because so many times I though that I am going to find a road somewhere, but when I arrived at the place, I had to find out that the plants have grown over the route, and there is no way I was able to get through it. I had to make a U-turn, and make a huge extra circle. It was very unpleasant, and it messed with the timetable of my whole trip. It was a very unpleasant experience, and I would rather go through the whole trip first than experience it again.
When I went through the whole trip I am going to make a more detailed training plan. I will decide how much training I am going to do on slopes, and how much I will have to train all in all.
Stay alert for more updates coming in the future. I am sure I am not going to make any changes to my plan after this. A backpacking, fishing and cycling trip sounds hard enough, and I honestly can't think of any ways I could make it harder. Alright, if I would make it a jogging trip instead of a cycling trip, but I don't want to give myself any ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment